Persistent DataObjects - Experimental / Work in Progress
Persistent and optionally immutable & versioned DataObjects for SilverStripe
The two major features of this module are:
- A DataObject subclass that can not be deleted
->delete() will mark an object as deleted, but not actually delete it
(Where necessary, objects can still be deleted by calling
- A DataObjectExtension that adds versioning
In contrast to the "silverstripe-versioned" module, versioning is achived by
making DataObjects immutable and overloading
->write() to create a duplicate
of the current record instead of saving the existing.
This means the
ID becomes the unique version number, while an additional
VersionGroupLatest keep track of the relation of records.
The benefit of this approach is being able to easily reference a version of an
entry rather than always the latest version. Thus making it possible to have
persistent storage of information that is easily integrable in other parts of
SilverStripe (eg an invoice can safely reference a product price and does not
need to create a snapshot).
TODOs / Planed features
- Revisit decision to put VersionGroup_ID on DataObject rather than subclasses
- Extend GridField integration
- Hide/Show deleted records button
- History view to access older version from within a DataObject
- Implement non GridField form fields (eg Relation Dropdown that let's the user pick a entry and a version)
- Implement Database Field/Relation that references VersionGroupID instead of ID?
- Explain the usecase in more detail
- SilverStripe 4 Support