Custom SilverStripe Blog Tweaks
My ideal SilverStripe blogging solution consists of the following modules:
This module contains a variety of tweaks to these modules that further perfect the solution. I add this module to every SilverStripe blog I do.
- Blog: Hides the redundant dropdown next to the "Add Blog Post" button (using CSS).
- Blog: Added $description static.
- Blog: Sets canCreate so only one blog can be created (keeps page type list tidy for non-admins)
- Blog: Adds custom page icon.
- Blog: Adds default frontend templates & CSS (which can be disabled in config).
- Blog Post: Removed the "MenuTitle" field, as not usually required for blog posts.
- Blog Post: Added a "Manage Posts" button to the top of the CMS EditForm, to allow the user an obvious way back to the posts Gridfield.
- Blog Post: Sets a custom upload location for Featured Image files.
- Blog Post: Hides to the Featured Image upload location.
- Blog Post: Removed the Settings > Visibility section, as not normally applicable to blog posts.
- Blog Post: Adds custom page icon.
- Blog Post: Adds a message below the categories and tags fields telling the user where to go to add them if none exist.
- Blog Post: Adds ability to enable/disable tags/categories/featuredimage in config.
- Blog Post: Adds default frontend templates & CSS (which can be disabled in config).
- Comments Admin: Removes the bulk action dropdown, and re-adds it with a new "Mark as Moderated" action, and a delete action.
- Comment: Removes the "Is Spam?" field. (Not neccecary for Mollom module)
- Comment: Removes the "URL" field.
- Comment: Makes the comment e-mail address readonly.
- Comment: Adds a readonly "ParentTitle" field to display the name of the page that comment was left on.
- Comment: Removes the "Spam?" summary field.
- Comment: Renamed comment form field labels to keep them short and simple.
- Comment: Moved the line "Your e-mail address will not be published." from the main label, into a "RightTitle".
- Templates: Minor tweaks to remove rarely used features such as RSS feed links.
- CSS: Added some basic CSS to make the default comment styles a bit nicer.
- Custom E-mail Template: Including message if comment needs to be approved, and links to immediately approve/delete the comment from the e-mail.
Feel free to pick out any tweaks for use in your own projects, or if you really wish you can install this module as is. (Although be warned I shall be making further adjustments/improvments to the whole solution as time goes on).
This module requires Mollom, which currently hasn't been added to Packagist, but does have a composer.json file. To avoid an error when installing this module, add the following to your composer.json file first:
Add the module using Composer:
composer require purplespider/mypswd-blog-tweaks *
Add the following to /mysite/_config/config.yml to enable spam protection:
public_key: <Get from mollom.com>
private_key: <Get from mollom.com>
Create a new page of type
Add a Comment Notification Email address in Settings if required.